Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

We really had a nice day celebrating kindness and friendship. The day went so quickly that as we got ready to go home, one student thought we were going to lunch! They also earned 5 compliments and started discussing what we should do to celebrate 200 compliments. A pajama party was suggested, so I said I would talk to Mrs. Hansen and if it's OK with her we might do it on the first Wednesday after we earn our 200th compliment.

With Valentine's Day, the Alberta Bair Field Trip and a short day on Wednesday, it does not look like we will get to Reading Street as much as I would like to really help them learn the blends and enjoy the Little Mouse's Adventure. So I am skipping this week and moving blends to next week and G week the following 5 day week that goes into March. I feel it's better to cover the skills well than try to hurry through too much material. We will still engage in many, varied reading and language activities and spend a good portion of Wednesday on the 5 problem solving steps of Second Step. This will help each child get along better with his or her peers.

Thanks for helping your child prepare their Valentines. One of my favorite parts of the day was when 3 or 4 students wanted to make sure I opened my Valentines so they could enjoy watching me discover what their valentine was. In the morning, Mr. Croff came in to talk to me, and one student tried hard not to interupt, but wanted to make sure we gave him his bag of Valentines. They enjoyed his enthusiasm at getting so many Valentine's all at once! A true sign that they are getting joy from giving as much as receiving the little notes of love and care!

I am sure these loving skills are being modeled in your homes, and I am thankful to see it carried over to school friends, teachers and the principal!

Again, have a Happy Valentine's Day! And thanks to Allison (Kaleigh's Mom) Mrs. Hansen, Kevin (my son) and Carly (Kevin's Valentine) for helping us read our Valentines. It was great having four adults reading with the children and enjoying our Valentine Reading party. A big thanks to the Hunter's and Curtiss' for the cupcakes and juice. Plus all of the others that added sweet treats to our Valentine bags!
Sincerely, Mrs. Clapper

No comments:

Post a Comment