Monday, December 20, 2010

DECEMBER 20, 2010

We had a wonderful day at school today. We finished our parent presents and they came home in a white paper bag that they decorated. Your child can tell you if you can open it today or if you have to wait until Christmas. It's cute how some can't wait, and others want to put it under the tree. It is something you can use more this year if you open it right away...but the children know that and if they want you to wait...it's OK. They are the giver of the gift! It's so fun to watch them experience the JOY of giving something they made with love!

Academically, we did a lot of Math. We counted again by 2's to 20 and also by 5's. Then we talked about fewer than or less than and did a fun Math sheet with Christmas stockings. We also arranged our handmade stockings in a pattern. It took a lot of problem solving because we wanted to make a pattern and have the toes hang nicely. We have some very sharp students who helped me figure it out.

For Language Arts, we worked with the high frequency words: she, with, the and little and reviewed the "r" sound. Since we had pretzels for snack time we also concentrated on the blend sound of /pr/ and said our funny rhyme with the /pr/ sound!
"Pring a prong a pree, I got you by the knee!" This will help them cement in the idea that not all initial sounds are just one letter. We will work on blends throughout the year!

They got a little more center time than usual today because I wanted to help each child 'wrap' their gift for you after they finished their Merry Christmas card.

I will try to write tomorrow after school, but in case I don't, I hope you each have a very Happy, Relaxing Holiday week. I am teaching Monday and Tuesday and Mrs. Hansen is going to teach all day Wednesday. We will still have library so bring those books back for sure! Thanks for all you do to help your child succeed at school!

Sincerely,
Mrs. Clapper

No comments:

Post a Comment