Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A cold Tuesday

We had a fun day in spite of the cold weather keeping us in for all three recesses. So we made the best of it with our action songs like 'The Gingerbread Man", "ABC Disco", and our vowel song! Then we had two Christmas stories one about a GRUMPY Santa and the old fashioned Jingle Bells story and song!

Maddy was back so we celebrated her birthday and tomorrow is Eli's! What a fun week!! We wrote our names for Kelsey so that we could practice all lowercase except for the first letter.

We had a very important Second Step lesson about using "I feel" statements to let people know how we are feeling.
Many times if someone makes us mad or frustrated, simply telling them in a non threatening way helps them see what happened and they say they are sorry. Empathy is a learned skill and it starts very young. So when we ended the day with the movie Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, we talked about the name calling and the feelings of being left out. Hopefully, identifying with the fictional characters helps us treat everyone nicely.

I did not get a January calendar done yet. It will come home the first week. The letter of the week will be "D d" ! We will be working hard to make a small counterclockwise circle then the tall line and finally a monkey tale. The little "ditty" that I use to help them remember is:

"De left de left, de up de up de down de down de monkey tail"

We started it today as we wrote Maddy on her birthday cake cards. It is a long process but I explained to the children that it will help them write better when they go to cursive if they keep practing the lower case 'd' that way!

Have a very Merry Christmas and enjoy family time over the vacation. I think I will be a Grandma again by the end of the year!
See you all in 2011 unless we happen to see each other at a store, or movie or something fun!
Sincerely Carol Clapper

No comments:

Post a Comment