Monday, November 15, 2010

November 15, 2010

Today we started our second vowel of the year. Vowels are a little tricky because they have so many sounds. We will work mainly on the short I sound at the beginning and middle of words. Show and Tells can be either short or long i but please have the the item start with the letter 'i".
We jumped ahead a little and had the story, "A Bed for the Winter" on Monday afternoon rather than Tuesday morning because tomorrow Mr. Gibson, husband of one of the other Kindergarten teachers is bring a Tom Turkey, stuffed and ready for the children to see and learn from. We will be going into Mrs. Gibson's room around 9:15 until morning recess! We will be doing a book, a poem and some turkey math activities. So if we get to less of the Reader Writer Notebooks this year, you can understand why. The children especially a couple of our more active ones, have trouble behaving appropriately if I try to stuff too many things in one day.
I started assessing them on rhyming words today and am really happy with how many are getting most of them right. Some are pretty tricky, like grain and green, or fear and far. But they love flower/shower, and smile/pile etc. Continue to help your child discover the wonderful words that rhyme anytime you can!
Looking forward to a Terrific, Turkey Tuesday tomorrow! (sounds like it should be T week instead of I i week!)
So far I got two of the 'I am Thankful" gold homework sheets back. Your child may turn them in any day this week, but by Friday at the latest. Thanks so much! Carol Clapper

No comments:

Post a Comment